Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Butternut Squash
The flavors from the Brussel sprouts and butternut squash, mixed with crunchy pecans and dried cranberries with a touch of sweetness from the maple syrup makes this a perfect side dish.
- ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS:
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed, yellow leaves removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
- 1 1/2 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed into 1-inch cubes (Yields about 4 cups of uncooked cubed butternut squash)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 to 4 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
Preparation time 50mins
Cooking time 75mins
ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease the foil-lined baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Make sure Brussels sprouts have trimmed ends and yellow leaves are removed. Then, slice all Brussels sprouts in half. In a medium bowl, combine halved Brussels sprouts, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt (to taste), and toss to combine.
Place onto a foil-lined baking sheet, cut side down, and roast in the oven at 400°F for about 20-25 minutes. During the last 5-10 minutes of roasting, turn them over for even browning, the cut sides should be nicely and partially charred but not blackened.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
While the Brussel sprouts are roasting, start preparing the butternut squash. Lightly grease the foil-lined baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
In a medium bowl, combine cubed butternut squash (peeled and seeded),1 tablespoon of olive oil, maple syrup, and cinnamon, and toss to mix.
Place butternut squash in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes, turning once half-way through baking, until softened.
Note: You can roast both Brussels sprouts and butternut squash on 2 separate baking sheets at the same time, on the same rack in the oven – that’s what I did.
In a large bowl, combine roasted Brussels sprouts, roasted butternut squash, pecans, and cranberries, and mix to combine. (OPTIONAL): For more sweetness, add 2 or 4 tablespoons of maple syrup, if desired – do not add all maple syrup at once, start with 2 tablespoons, then add more, if desired, and toss with the salad ingredients to combine.
You'll also love
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussel... 4.6/5 (81 Votes)
- Paleo Pumpkin Pecan Pie 4.4/5 (55 Votes)
- Roasted Mushrooms in a Browned... 4.5/5 (48 Votes)
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with... 4.4/5 (44 Votes)
- Joe's Stone Crab Key Lime Pie 3.7/5 (23 Votes)
- Bread Machine Corn Bread 3.7/5 (21 Votes)
- Longhorn Steakhouse Mac & Cheese 3.8/5 (76 Votes)
- Dole Classic Coleslaw Dressing 3.9/5 (50 Votes)