Longhorn Steakhouse Mac & Cheese
This ooey gooey Longhorn Steakhouse Mac & Cheese recipe is a favorite side dish served at the restaurant!
- 1 pound penne rigate
- 4 cups half and half
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 stick
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, plus more for garnishing
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 16 ounces sharp white Cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 ounces Fontina cheese, grated
- 2 ounces Parmesan-Reggiano cheese, grated
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook at a rolling boil until just tender. Drain, rinse under cold water, drain again and set aside in a large bowl.
Bring the half and half just to a boil in a heavy saucepan and set aside.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in another heavy saucepan. Add the flour, and whisk over low heat for 5 minutes. Do not brown. Remove from the heat.
Add the hot liquid to the flour mixture, and whisk well. Add the paprika, season with the salt and pepper, and return the pan to a low heat. Add half of all of the cheeses and stir until combined. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens; about 5 minutes.
Add sauce to the pasta. Toss well to coat completely.
Coat a large baking dish/casserole with olive oil, and fill it with half of the sauced pasta. Distribute half of the remaining cheese evenly over the pasta. Repeat layering.
Place the dish on a baking sheet, and bake in a preheated oven until hot, lightly browned and bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes.