Paleo Pumpkin Pecan Pie
Pumpkin pie is for Paleo diets, too! This recipe will be sure to fool your friends and family into thinking this is a regular pumpkin pie. The topping really takes this pie up a notch.
- 1 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup pecan meal (or omit and add an additional 1/4 cup almond flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup, honey or coconut palm sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup maple syrup (or 1/2 cup honey)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 3/4 cup pecan halves
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a large bowl combine the almond flour, pecan meal, salt, baking soda and spices. In a separate bowl whisk together the coconut oil (or butter), maple syrup (or other sweetener, if using) and vanilla. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined. Press the dough into a 9″ pie pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown, remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack before filling.
Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Add the filling evenly into the slightly cooled crust and return to the 350°F oven and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the filling is set. A knife inserted into the middle should come out clean. Remove from oven to a cooling rack. If you are just making the Pumpkin Pie, cool for 30 minutes before serving or cover and refrigerate.
To make the topping, preheat broiler. Combine honey or maple syrup and butter in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches a low boil. Remove from heat and stir in pecans to coat. Arrange coated pecans on top of pie and drizzle remaining topping over the pecans. Place under the broiler until bubbly and golden brown, watching carefully, about 2 minutes. Remove from oven to a cooling rack. Cool for 30 minutes before serving or cover and refrigerate.
Serve both the Pumpkin or Pumpkin Pecan pies topped with freshly made whipped cream. If you refrigerated the pies bring them to room temperature before serving (or not…some people like their Pumpkin Pie cold!)…about 4 hours on the counter-top.
You'll also love
- Shakin' Ranch Potatoes 4.5/5 (55 Votes)
- Spinach Enchiladas with Cilantro... 4.5/5 (55 Votes)
- Lemon Crinkle Cookies 4.4/5 (59 Votes)
- Pumpkin Praline Ice Cream 4.5/5 (51 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Lo Mein 4.2/5 (72 Votes)
- Guiltless Lemon Coconut Cake 4.5/5 (51 Votes)
- Fluffy Eggnog & Vanilla Bean... 4.6/5 (43 Votes)
- Trisha Yearwood's Sugared Pecans 4.2/5 (80 Votes)