Vegan Creamy Lemon Asparagus Pasta
A simple vegan pasta that requires simply scrumptious ingredients and only takes 30 minutes to make! A creamy butter and dairy-free white sauce is infused with lemon and roasted garlic. This recipe can be made gluten-free or this recipe can also be made for carnivores and adapted to include non-vegan items. To keep this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta and sub the flour with cornstarch or another thickener of choice. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons during the blending process to make sure it’s completely blended. Then add back to the pan to thicken for 5 to 7 minutes. Alternatively, make a slurry with the cornstarch and a few tablespoons of the sauce in a small bowl and then whisk it directly into the pan during the simmering process. Repeat in 1/2 tablespoon amounts until desired consistency is reached.
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and washed, about 12-ounces
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 lemons, 1 lemon cut into slices, juice of half of 1 lemon, 1/2 of a lemon cut into wedges, divided
- 3 1/2 olive oil, divided, plus more to taste
- 3 to 4 large cloves garlic, minced, about 2 tablespoons
- about 5 cups bow tie pasta, see notes if gluten-free
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 3 to 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, substitute another thickener like cornstarch if gluten-free
- 1 to 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Preheat oven to 400°F. Add asparagus to a baking sheet and toss with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch each salt and black pepper. Top with several thin slices of lemon and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Once finished cooking, remove from oven and roughly chop into thirds.
In the meantime, bring a pot of water to a boil and salt generously. While the water’s heating, bring a large skillet to medium heat. Once hot, add 3 tablespoons olive oil and the garlic. Whisk and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes or until garlic is just starting to brown.
Add 3 tablespoons flour and whisk. Cook for 30 seconds, then whisk in almond milk, a 1/2 cup at a time. Use a large flat spatula to smash down the bits of garlic and flour to properly incorporate. Add a healthy pinch salt and black pepper and whisk. Slightly lower heat and continue cooking to thicken, stirring occasionally.
Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Then drain and set aside.
For extra creamy sauce, add sauce to a blender or use an immersion blender to blend. Add nutritional yeast and another pinch of salt and black pepper. If it looks runny, add another tablespoon of flour or cornstarch. Blend until creamy and smooth, using the “puree” or “liquify” setting if possible. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, then add back to pan and continue cooking over medium to medium-low heat to thicken.
Once your sauce has reached the desired thickness, add the juice of half a lemon and stir. Add 3/4 of the chopped asparagus and the cooked pasta to the sauce and toss to coat. Divide between 2 to 3 serving plates and top with remaining asparagus. Serve with a lemon wedge and vegan parmesan cheese.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 or 3 days.
To keep this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta and sub the flour with cornstarch or another thickener of choice. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons during the blending process to make sure it’s completely blended. Then add back to the pan to thicken for 5 to 7 minutes. Alternatively, make a slurry with the cornstarch and a few tablespoons of the sauce in a small bowl and then whisk it directly into the pan during the simmering process. Repeat in 1/2 tablespoon amounts until desired consistency is reached.
You'll also love
- Hawaiian Wedding Cake 3.8/5 (384 Votes)
- Cheesecake Factory Steak Diane 3.7/5 (303 Votes)
- Homemade Summer Sausage 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Weight Watchers Old-Fashioned... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Key Lime Coconut Snowballs 3.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Adzuki Bean Soup with Quinoa and... 3.8/5 (4 Votes)
- DOUBLE BERRY BELLINI 3.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Lemon Chicken in Slow Cooker 3.8/5 (4 Votes)