The Ultimate Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Fried Shallots
Sautéed cremini mushrooms and blanched green beans are combined with a luscious sauce of chicken stock and cream. Then the dish is topped with homemade fried shallot rings and baked until bubbling. This recipe is perfect to make a couple of days ahead of time, so that you will have more time with friends and family during the holidays.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 2 cups canola oil, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 6 large shallots, peeled and sliced into thin rings
- 5 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced, about 1-pound
- 1/4 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2-pounds green beans, trimmed, halved and blanched
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 55mins
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish.
In a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, pour in 2 cups of canola oil or enough canola oil to reach a depth of 1-inch inside the saucepan. Heat canola oil to 350°F using a deep-fry-safe thermometer. Line a baking sheet with paper towels to collect and blot the freshly fried shallots with.
Put 1/2 cup of the flour in a small bowl and season with salt, black pepper and cayenne. Add the sliced shallots and toss to coat evenly. Working in batches, fry the shallots until golden brown and lightly crisped for about 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and lightly season with salt. Set aside.
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the 1 tablespoon oil and melt the 2 tablespoons butter. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned for about 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the chopped shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the remaining 1/4 cup flour and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. While stirring constantly, slowly add the stock and then the cream. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until thickened for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the green beans and season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the fried shallot rings on top.
Transfer to the oven and bake until the edges are bubbling and the top is browned for about 30 minutes. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Prepare the green bean mixture and place in baking dish, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bake the green bean mixture in a 375°F oven for 15 minutes. While the green bean mixture is baking, fry the shallots, after the green bean mixture has baked for 15 minutes, add the shallots to the top, and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Crockpot Bacon Cheeseburger Soup 4.3/5 (25 Votes)
- Corn Fritters Martha Stewart 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Creamy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Beef Stroganoff Stew 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Savory Herb Corn Muffins 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Country French Omelet (Bacon &... 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with... 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Rosemary Marinated Ribeye Steaks... 4.3/5 (32 Votes)