Vegan Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprouts Bread Stuffing with Apples
This butternut squash and brussel sprout stuffing recipe is delicious, even if you aren't vegan! Perfect for holiday meals when family members with different eating habits are together - satisfies everyone!
- 1 pound butternut squash, cubed
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 medium gala apple, cut into a 1/2 inch dice
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided into 2 tablespoons and 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 10 slices bread of choice: crusty sourdough, dry cornbread, whole grain, or, if you are gluten free, millet bread from Food For Life will work nicely.
- Prior to preparing the recipe, leave bread out for a day to become slightly dry, then cut into cubes.
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth (plus extra as needed)
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 45mins
Heat oven to 400°F. Toss the squash, brussels sprouts, apples, and shallots in 2 tablespoons oil and season well with salt and pepper. Roast till vegetables are very tender (I actually like my sprouts a bit singed) and remove from oven. Reduce oven heat to 350°F.
Heat other tablespoon of oil in a large pot. Sautee the onion and celery till translucent (about 5 to 8 min). Add the bread cubes and allow them to get golden brown with the veggies in the oil. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
Add the roasted vegetables, vegetable broth, cranberries, pecans, and seasonings. Stir the mix till the broth has almost entirely absorbed in the toasted bread. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes. Serve hot. And delicious.
You'll also love
- brownie - Flourless Chocolate Chip... 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- CREAMY LEMON SQUARES 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Raspberry pudding shots 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Mashed Potatoes - Tyler Florence 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Penne with Spicy Vodka Tomato Sauce 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Five-Cheese Spinach & Artichoke Dip 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Little Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes 4.6/5 (19 Votes)