Janet's Orange Zucchini Bread
Make sure you have plenty of this Orange Zucchini Bread on hand when served, requests for more will be forthcoming. It's so good with a hint of orange in both the bread and glaze.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt, scant
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup applesauce, or egg substitute
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Zest of one orange
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/3 cup walnuts or raisins, optional
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon zest
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from facebook.com
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease one loaf pan.
Wash and dry the zucchini. Using a box grater or food processor to grate 2 cups worth and set aside.
Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well with a whisk and make a well in the center of the mixture.
Wash and zest the orange.
In another cup mix the egg substitute (or applesauce), orange zest, juice, vanilla, oil and sugar until combined. Add to the flour mixture, folding gently until combined.
Fold in the zucchini (and walnuts or raisins if you are using them) and pour into greased loaf pan.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden and a tooth pick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
Prepare the glaze: Mix the remaining orange juice and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar in a small bowl. Add the remaining zest and stir until smooth and combined.
Cool the bread for 10 minutes in the pan. Then, run the blade of knife around the loaf to gently separate it from the sides of the pan. Invert the loaf and the bread should slide out. Place on a wire rack with a large pan or plate below it to finish cooling.
1While the bread is still hot spoon half of the glaze onto the top loaf. It will almost immediately drip down the sides of the loaf. Cool completely before serving.
You'll also love
- Easy Berry Dump Cake 4.1/5 (182 Votes)
- Painkiller Cocktail 4.5/5 (86 Votes)
- Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich 4.5/5 (83 Votes)
- Cheesy Baked Dip 4.5/5 (84 Votes)
- Spinach Manicotti 4.5/5 (88 Votes)
- Bacon Cheese Potatoes (Slow Cooked) 4.5/5 (89 Votes)
- The Pioneer Woman's Sausage Gravy 4/5 (164 Votes)
- Sticky Buns 4.5/5 (81 Votes)