Janet's Orange Zucchini Bread
Make sure you have plenty of this Orange Zucchini Bread on hand when served, requests for more will be forthcoming. It's so good with a hint of orange in both the bread and glaze.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt, scant
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup applesauce, or egg substitute
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Zest of one orange
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/3 cup walnuts or raisins, optional
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon zest
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from facebook.com
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease one loaf pan.
Wash and dry the zucchini. Using a box grater or food processor to grate 2 cups worth and set aside.
Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well with a whisk and make a well in the center of the mixture.
Wash and zest the orange.
In another cup mix the egg substitute (or applesauce), orange zest, juice, vanilla, oil and sugar until combined. Add to the flour mixture, folding gently until combined.
Fold in the zucchini (and walnuts or raisins if you are using them) and pour into greased loaf pan.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden and a tooth pick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
Prepare the glaze: Mix the remaining orange juice and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar in a small bowl. Add the remaining zest and stir until smooth and combined.
Cool the bread for 10 minutes in the pan. Then, run the blade of knife around the loaf to gently separate it from the sides of the pan. Invert the loaf and the bread should slide out. Place on a wire rack with a large pan or plate below it to finish cooling.
1While the bread is still hot spoon half of the glaze onto the top loaf. It will almost immediately drip down the sides of the loaf. Cool completely before serving.
You'll also love
- Orange Zested Cookies With Sweet... 4.4/5 (163 Votes)
- Halloween Oreo Chocolate Chip... 4.3/5 (159 Votes)
- Double Chocolate Chip Frappe 3.9/5 (1151 Votes)
- Cherry Tea Cakes 4.5/5 (141 Votes)
- Saltine Toffee 4.5/5 (137 Votes)
- Lemon Burst Cake Mix Cookies 4.5/5 (138 Votes)
- Cheese & Onion Enchiladas with... 4.3/5 (176 Votes)
- Corn Casserole 4.3/5 (148 Votes)
- Homemade Bread Using Kitchen Aid... 3.8/5 (709 Votes)
- Long John Silver Hush Puppies 3.9/5 (188 Votes)
- Make A Box Cake Taste Homemade 4/5 (132 Votes)
- Orange Dream Cake 4.3/5 (89 Votes)
- Mandazi African Donuts 4.4/5 (47 Votes)
- Vanilla Magic Custard Cake 3.8/5 (206 Votes)
- Japanese Sponge Cake 4.4/5 (46 Votes)
- Pretty Yummy Fruit Salad by The... 3.9/5 (113 Votes)
- Lime Muddy Buddies 4.7/5 (20 Votes)
- Zucchini Pudding Casserole 4.1/5 (53 Votes)
- Gluten-Free, High-Protein Coconut... 3.7/5 (180 Votes)
- Honey-Orange Syrup 4/5 (20 Votes)
- Birthday Cake Banana Bread 4.1/5 (34 Votes)
- Juicer Orange Pulp Scones 3.9/5 (67 Votes)
- Tupperware Bread 3.9/5 (19 Votes)
- Tasty Deep Fried Cauliflower 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- New Amsterdam Peach Sunrise 4.1/5 (36 Votes)
- Shrimp and Grits Fritters 4.1/5 (21 Votes)
- Fried Cube Steak 3.5/5 (34 Votes)
- German Dark Rye Bread (for bread... 0/5 (0 Votes)