Cheese & Onion Enchiladas with Tex-Mex Chili Gravy
This Tex-Mex dish is so easy to make, and you probably have most of the ingredients on hand. I'll show you how to make this on my food blog, step-by-step. This recipe was adapted from Eating Etc. who got it from the Homesick Texan. Try it, you'll love it!
- CHILI GRAVY:
- 3 tablespoons Canola oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (Mexican oregano is preferred if it’s available)
- 2 tablespoon chile powder (either homemade or a dark brand such as Gebhardt’s or Whole Foods)
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- CHEESE ENCHILADAS:
- 6 corn tortillas
- 12 Kraft American 2% Cheese singles (or velveeta for TexMex authenticity)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups chili gravy
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
Stir in flour and continue stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it makes a light brown roux.
Add remaining dry ingredients and continue to cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring and blending ingredients.
Add chicken broth, mixing and stirring until the sauce thickens.
Turn heat to low and let sauce simmer for 15 minutes. May add water, or chicken broth, to adjust thickness, if necessary.
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Pour 1 to 2 tablespoons oil in a small or medium skillet and heat tortillas, one at a time, on each side. Layer on plate and blot with paper towels.
Pour 1/2 cup chili gravy in 7-x9inch baking pan.
Put 1/4 cup cheese and 1tablespoon onion in center of each tortilla, roll up, and place, seam-side down, in baking dish.
Pour remaining chili gravy over rolled tortillas, top with remaining cheese & onions.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is bubble and cheese is melted.
You'll also love
- Cheesy Bacon Potato Nachos 4.5/5 (100 Votes)
- Christmas Style Pretzel M&M Hugs 4.3/5 (124 Votes)
- Baked Potato Casserole 4.6/5 (96 Votes)
- Cheesecake Crescent Rolls 4.5/5 (120 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Ham 4.4/5 (126 Votes)
- French Onion Supper Soup 4.4/5 (106 Votes)
- Easy Baked Cheese Balls 4.4/5 (108 Votes)
- Grands Biscuit Breakfast Casserole 3.9/5 (291 Votes)