Da’ Bes’ Hawaiian Local-Style Beef Stew
This Da' Bes' Hawaiian style beef stew is truly an Island treat filled with healthy vegetables, hearty beef chuck roast, and all the rich spices that everyone loves in a good beef stew. Serve alone, or with some rice and poi, if you've got some, just be sure to make enough because everyone is going to devour this delicious meal.
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast or beef stew meat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium sized carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 150mins
Adapted from tastyislandhawaii.com
Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large stock pot. Working in small batches in a single layer, brown the beef, making sure each piece is thoroughly caramelized. When all the meat is browned, set aside in a bowl.
In the hot pan, add the chopped onion and brown, about 3 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add in the flour and continue to cook 1 minute. Add the 2 pounds of browned beef back into the pot. Season to taste with salt and coarse ground black pepper. Add in the bay leaf. Add water so that the browned beef is just covered. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to medium-low. Simmer covered for 2 hours.
Add the carrots, potatoes, celery, diced tomato and tomato sauce and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
Finish it with some fresh cracked black pepper, serve with hot rice and/or poi and enjoy!
You'll also love
- Trisha's Chicken Broccoli Casserole 3.9/5 (29 Votes)
- Apple-Spice Bundt Cake with... 4.2/5 (19 Votes)
- A Pauper's Apple Pie 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Olallieberry Iced Hand Pies (&... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Oven-Roasted Chicken Cacciatora 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Crock-Pot Creamy Tomato Basil Soup 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Pork Rib End Roast w/ Irish Ketchup 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Cucumber Chickpea Salad 4.4/5 (16 Votes)