Crock-Pot Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
his easy recipe for Crock-Pot Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is a warm and satisfying soup to make any time of the year. Serve with a side salad and some crusty bread for a complete meal. This soup is vegetarian and so delicious. Garnish each bowl with a fresh sprig of basil for some additional color and pop!
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, with the juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups half & half (can use fat-free)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Adapted from crockpotladies.com
To a 4-6 quart slow cooker add the carrots, onion, celery, canned tomatoes, oregano, basil and vegetable broth.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until the vegetables are cooked and soft.
Using a hand-held blender right in the slow cooker blend until the soup is to your desired smoothness (I left it a little chunky, but you can blend until completely smooth if you desire).
Add the grated Parmesan cheese and half & half to the soup in the crock-pot and turn the heat up to high.
Cover and cook for 30 to 40 additional minutes until the soup is hot.
Add salt & pepper to taste and serve.