Oven-Roasted Chicken Cacciatora
Serves 6, and doubles easily. If doubling, bake in two pans.
io minutes prep time; 45 minutes oven time
This can be made days ahead and reheats well
This Tuscan one-pan meal neatly sidesteps the traditional time-consuming stovetop browning with its usual mess. For big, unstoppable flavors roast the chicken pieces in a cloak of garlic and herbs along with tomato, peppers, and meaty black olives. These aromatics become the sauce.
From: The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper: Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (8 thighs; organic if possible)
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 4 thin slices Cacciatore or Genoa or hard salami, cut into 1-inch squares 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large fresh tomato, or 3 drained canned ones, coarse chopped
- 1 medium to large red onion, coarse chopped
- Leaves from two 4-inch sprigs fresh rosemary
- 10 fresh sage leaves, torn
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup good-tasting extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
1. Turn the oven to 400" F. Arrange the chicken on a large, shal-low roasting pan (a half-sheet pan is ideal), and scatter all the ingredients except the lemon juice over the chicken.
2. Roast the chicken for 30 minutes. Baste with the pan juices, turn the chicken pieces over, and continue roasting for another 10 to 15 minutes, basting and turning occasionally. When the chicken reaches 170F on an instant-reading thermometer, it is done. if you'd like, brown the chicken under the broiler.
3. Turn the contents of the pan into a big bowl. Adjust the seasonings, and squeeze the lemon juice over it. Serve hot.
You'll also love
- Crab Eggs Benedict 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Teppanyaki Style Fried Rice 4.2/5 (38 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Southwest 2 Bean and... 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Fried Ravioli with Marinara... 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken in the... 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
- Low-Carb Oven Fried Chicken 4.3/5 (27 Votes)
- (Korean BBQ Chicken) Dak Bulgogi 4.3/5 (26 Votes)
- Cattle Drive Casserole 3.9/5 (67 Votes)
Review this recipe