Baked Potato Soup in a Slow Cooker
Baked Potato Soup is prepared in a slow cooker so you come home to a delightful smell of dinner almost ready! Just stir in the cream cheese, bring out the toppings and dinner is served!
- 5 pounds russet potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions
- Top with optional garnishes, crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, green onions
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 390mins
Take the cream cheese out of the refrigerator so it can come to room temperature. This allows it to blend into the soup better.
Prepare the vegetables for the soup. Wash and peel the potatoes. Chop them into about 1" pieces, which makes for a chunkier soup. If you like a creamier soup, chop them smaller. Set aside.
Chop the onion into small pieces. Chop the garlic finely, or use garlic from a jar, about 2-3 teaspoons.
Combine the potatoes, onion, garlic, broth and salt and pepper in your slow cooker. (Don't add the cream cheese, yet). Cook on high for 6 hours and low for 10 hours.
About an hour before serving, take the cream cheese out of the refrigerator so it can come to room temperature.
Just before serving, add the cream cheese that has been brought to room temperature, into your slow cooker and stir until it is melted. If you prefer a chunk soup, ladle into bowls and top with your favorite toppings! If you prefer a creamy soup, either blend a little at a time in a blender, or use an immersion blender in the slow cooker.
Try different versions, like adding clams for a clam chowder, or stir the bacon, cheese and green onion into the soup and top with a dollop of sour cream.
You'll also love
- Texas Roadhouse Steak Seasoning 3.9/5 (589 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Chicken Teriyaki 3.8/5 (618 Votes)
- Mastro's Butter Cake 3.8/5 (765 Votes)
- Beer Crockpot Chicken 4/5 (522 Votes)
- Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup 4.5/5 (477 Votes)
- One-Bowl Apple Cake 3.9/5 (524 Votes)
- Crusted Honey Mustard Chicken 4.4/5 (420 Votes)
- Betty Crocker Cake Mix & A Can of... 4/5 (846 Votes)