Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprout, & Bread Stuffing with Apples
" The first time I served this stuffing to my (omnivore) family, they were so enchanted that they didn't even know it was vegan. I've made a few tweaks over time, but the core of the recipe--a savory mix of winter squash, brussels sprouts, and good bread--has remained."
- 1 pound butternut squash, cubed
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 medium gala apple, cut into a 1/2 inch dice
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided into 2 tablespoons and 1 tablespoons
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 10 slices bread of choice: crusty sourdough, dry cornbread, whole grain, or, if you are gluten free, millet bread from Food For Life will work nicely. Prior to preparing the recipe, leave bread out for a day to become slightly dry, then cut into cubes.
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth (plus extra as needed)
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
Adapted from food52.com
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss the squash, brussel sprouts, apples and shallots in 2 tbsp oil and season well with salt and pepper. Roast until vegetables are very tender and remove from oven. Reduce oven heat to 350.
Heat other tbsp oil in a large pot. Saute the onion and celery till translucent (about 5-8 min). Add the bread cubes and allow them to get golden brown with the veggies in the oil. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
Add the roasted vegetables, vegetable broth, cranberries, pecans, and seasonings. Stir the mix till the broth has almost entirely absorbed in the toasted bread. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
You'll also love
- Mary Berry's Two-Tone Heart... 4.6/5 (36 Votes)
- Lemon Curd in an Instant Pot 4.4/5 (56 Votes)
- Melted Snowman Cookies 4.6/5 (31 Votes)
- Paleo Honey Sweet Potato Bars 4.6/5 (33 Votes)
- Kevin's Famous Macaroni and Cheese 4.6/5 (31 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Corn & Jalapeño Dip 4.6/5 (31 Votes)
- Applesauce Walnut Cake w/Cake Mix 3.8/5 (119 Votes)
- Gooey Apple Pull-Apart Bread 4.6/5 (37 Votes)