Grilled Cheese with Bourbon Melted Onions
(You will find thing's you do not find here, there) Follow or friend me on Facebook for even more recipe's,etc: https://www.facebook.com/carilynn71 ♥Delish Dish♥ at Facebook Groups https://www.facebook.com/groups/Creates/ ♥Delish Dish♥ at Tumblr http://delishdishs.tumblr.com/
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, halved, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp bourbon
- 1 1/2 tsp plus 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 12 oz (3 cups) of your favorite cheeses (we used sharp cheddar and Gruyère), grated
- 8 (1/2-inch) slices crusty bread
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until caramelized and very tender. Stir in sugar, salt, and pepper. Add bourbon, scraping up all brown bits in bottom of skillet. Stir in 1½ tsp butter until melted; keep warm. (Makes about 1 cup.)
2. In a medium bowl, toss cheeses until well combined. Divide evenly into 4 portions; press each into a disk-like patty to fit the size of the bread slices.
3. Spread ¼ cup of the onion mixture on each of 4 slices of bread. Top each with a cheese patty and another slice of bread. Spread 1½ tsp of the butter on 1 side of each sandwich.
4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Place 2 sandwiches, butter side down, in skillet. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. While first side is cooking, spread 1½ tsp of the butter on other side of each sandwich. Turn sandwiches and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until second side is crispy and golden brown and cheese has melted. Repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches.
You'll also love
- Bacon Broccoli Salad with Raisins... 4.7/5 (26 Votes)
- Peppermint Popcorn Bark 4.6/5 (33 Votes)
- Filipino Style Coconut Macaroons 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Taco Potatoes 4.9/5 (14 Votes)
- French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese 4.5/5 (44 Votes)
Review this recipe