Pumpkin Soup With Ancho and Apple
A delightfully different pumpkin soup with chile, apple and spices. Use canned pumpkin to speed up the assembly, then enjoy the aromas as dinner simmers.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 medium onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 dried ancho chile, stemmed, seeded and torn in small strips
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, preferably Mexican canela
- 3 cups plain canned pumpkin (about 1 1/2 cans)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema, or crème fraîche, mascarpone or sour cream
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 85mins
Adapted from nytimes.com
1. Melt butter in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan. Add half the pepitas and the onion and cook, stirring, on medium heat, until the onion is golden and the pepitas have started to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the chile pieces, cook a minute or two, then add the apple, black pepper, cinnamon and pumpkin.
2. Stir in 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the remaining pepitas on medium heat and set aside.
3. Pureé the soup in a blender. (You will need two shifts.) Return the soup to saucepan and season with salt and the sugar. Serve the soup in warm bowls with a dollop of crema and a sprinkling of toasted pepitas on top.
You'll also love
- Spiralized Sweet Potato Enchilada... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Herb-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pork Tenderloin with Apple Cider... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken and Squash with... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Watermelon Ancho Chile Salsa 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Summer Salad with Lemon Thyme... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Butternut Squash Soup Moroccan 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pumpkin Salsa 5/5 (1 Votes)