Butternut Squash Soup Moroccan
- 1 head garlic, for roasting (or you may sub 2 cloves garlic, not roasted)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled + cubed
- 1 teaspoon spicy curry powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (I used full fat, but lite will work too)
- 2 cups veggie broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces goat cheese, softened + more for topping
- roughly chopped cilantro + pistachios, for topping
- arils from one pomegranate, for topping
- naan, for serving
- Coconut Ginger Cream
- 1/2 cup cooled canned coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh ginger
Adapted from halfbakedharvest.com
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Chop off the top portion of the garlic head to reveal cloves. Peel any excess paper/skin off the bulb of garlic. Pour about one teaspoon of olive oil on top of the garlic cloves and cover with foil. Roast for 45 minutes, or until the garlic is golden brown and soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cool five minutes. Squeeze garlic out of the paper skin into a small bowl, mash well with a fork and set aside.
Meanwhile, add the coconut oil to a large soup pot set over medium heat. Once hot, add the red pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes or until soft. Add the cubed butternut squash, spicy curry powder, smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes then pour in the coconut milk and veggie broth. Bring the soup to boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the butternut squash is fork tender.
While the soup is cooking, make the ginger cream. Add the cold coconut milk and 1 tablespoon ginger to a small bowl. Taste and add more ginger if needed. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
Once the butternut squash is tender, add the roasted garlic and the crumbled goat cheese to the soup. Remove the pot from the stove and allow to cool slightly, then puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Return the soup back to the stove and heat through.
To serve, ladle the soup into bowl. Drizzle the coconut ginger cream over the soup and swirl with a spoon. Garnish with chopped cilantro, chopped pistachios and crumbled goat cheese. Sprinkle with pomegranate arils. Serve aside a hot piece of naan .
You'll also love
- Chakapuli (Georgian Veal &... 3.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Pumpkin Salsa 3/5 (2 Votes)
- APPLE SOUP (COLD) 3.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Yucatan-Style Turkey Soup 3.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Christmas Cranberry Salad 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Catfish Stew 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chicken Philly Sliders 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies,... 5/5 (1 Votes)