Pumpkin and Apple Soup
Pumpkin and apple blend perfectly in a comforting fall soup. The recipe starts with fresh pumpkin and apples, then adds spices and cream for bold, fresh flavor.
- Vegetable oil
- 3 pounds sugar pumpkin, seeded and halved
- Salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup unfiltered apple cider
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Candied walnuts
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and finely diced
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 105mins
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Oil the inside of the pumpkin and season with salt. Place cut-side down on a baking sheet and bake in the oven 30 minutes, or until the pumpkin meat is fork-tender.
Remove from oven. When cool enough to handle, use a spoon to scoop out the roasted pumpkin. Set aside.
In a large pot, melt butter over moderate heat. Once the butter is just beginning to brown, add onion and sauté 5 minutes. Add the apple, garlic, brown sugar, cinnamon, white pepper, nutmeg and cayenne, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring.
Add roasted pumpkin, broth and cider, stirring to incorporate, then season with Kosher salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes.
Stir in cream and let cool for 10 minutes.
Transfer soup to a blender (or use an immersion blender in the pot) and purée until smooth. If needed, add additional water or broth to reach the desired consistency.
Return the mixture to the saucepan to reheat. Serve warm and garnish with freshly diced apple and candied walnuts.
Like most soups, this one is even better made the day before. Reheat before serving.
You'll also love
- Tomato-Basil Lasagna Rolls 4.5/5 (60 Votes)
- Cheeseburger Soup - Low Carb 4.5/5 (63 Votes)
- Key Lime Pie Cake Bites 4.3/5 (79 Votes)
- Broccoli Cheese Cornbread 4.5/5 (60 Votes)
- Lemon Cooler Muddy Buddies 4.5/5 (57 Votes)
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup 4.5/5 (54 Votes)
- Mini Pumpkin Pie Croissants 4.4/5 (59 Votes)
- Easy Strawberry Pineapple Shortcake 4.5/5 (53 Votes)