Soup - Spiced Red Lentil, Tomato, and Kale Soup
Chili powder, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper create a downright irresistible flavorful broth bursting with nutrition. I tell ya, it’ll clear your nose in no time. Have tissue nearby! While it does contain a medley of spices, I wouldn’t say it’s overly “spicy”, unless of course you go crazy with the cayenne pepper.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or other oil)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 & 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspopon smoked sweet paprika, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 14 ounce can tomatoes, diced
- 5 - 6 cups vegetable broth, more if desired
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- Fine grain sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 handfuls torn kale leaves or spinach
Adapted from ohsheglows.com
In a large pot, sauté the onion and garlic in oil for about 5-6 minutes over medium heat. Add in the celery and sauté for a few minutes more.
Stir in the bay leaf and the spices (cumin, chili powder, coriander, paprika, cayenne). You can add half the spices and add more later if you prefer.
Stir in the can of tomatoes (including juice), broth, and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and then simmer, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes, until lentils are tender and fluffy.
Stir in kale or spinach and season to taste adding more spices if you wish.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Eggnog Bread Pudding 4.4/5 (114 Votes)
- Sturdy Whipped Cream Frosting 4.5/5 (110 Votes)
- Frozen French Lemonade 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
- Lemon Yogurt Cake from The... 4.1/5 (188 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ham & Potato Soup -... 4.2/5 (130 Votes)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes 4.3/5 (124 Votes)
- Weight Watchers Broccoli Cheese... 4.4/5 (107 Votes)
- Family Favorite Baked Beans 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
Review this recipe