I created this Minestrone Soup after recalling a great bowl of minestrone that was overflowing with rich vegetables at the Sheepherder's Inn in California.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 5 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine (Optional)
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can green beans
- 2 cups baby spinach, rinsed
- 3 zucchinis, quartered and sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup seashell pasta
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated. for topping
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
In a large stock pot, over medium-low heat, heat olive oil and sauté garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Add onion and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. Add celery and carrots, sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add chicken broth, water and tomato sauce, bring to boil, stirring frequently. If desired add red wine at this point. Reduce heat to low and add kidney beans, green beans, spinach leaves, zucchini, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, the longer the better.
Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook until tender. Drain and set aside.
When soup is heated through, place 2 tablespoons cooked pasta into individual serving bowls. Ladle soup over pasta and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Spray with olive oil and serve.
You'll also love
- Old-Fashioned Beef Stew with... 4.5/5 (146 Votes)
- The Best Potato Soup Recipe Ever 4.5/5 (146 Votes)
- Potatoes for a Crowd 4.4/5 (150 Votes)
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup 4.5/5 (129 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings... 4.5/5 (131 Votes)
- Tuscan White Bean Salad with... 4.4/5 (129 Votes)
- Blackened Chicken and Creole... 4.5/5 (117 Votes)
- Country Cabbage Soup 4.5/5 (111 Votes)