Family Favorite Baked Beans
No cookout or fish fry would be complete without baked beans as a side dish. This semi-homemade version is first preheated on top of the stove then finished in the oven.
- 2 (28-ounce) cans Bush's 'Country Style, Baked Beans with Bacon & Extra Brown Sugar, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pork and beans, drained (I used Van Camp's)
- 1/2 small onion, chopped, scant 1/2 cup
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, chopped, about 1/3 cup
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil, or bacon fat
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup K.C. Masterpiece Original Barbecue Sauce
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup (I used Hunt's)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 or 2 drops liquid smoke, optional (I used Hickory)
- 1/3 cup crisply cooked and crumbled bacon (or packaged 'Real' bacon pieces)
- Additional cooked bacon for garnish, optional
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large non-stick saucepan set over medium heat, saute onion and bell pepper in about a tablespoon cooking oil or bacon fat just until onion is translucent.
Add all remaining ingredients to the pot with the onion and bell pepper, stirring gently to combine. Heat until just warmed through (not boiling), stirring occasionally. (Watch carefully, the sugar might cause it to stick.)
Pour warmed beans into an 11x7" casserole dish (or equivalent) and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly, stirring once halfway through baking time. If desired, garnish top with additional cooked bacon pieces or whole strips during last 5 minutes of baking time. Remove from oven and let rest 5-10 minutes before serving. (The beans will thicken more as they cool.)