Lemon Yogurt Cake from The Barefoot Contessa
What I love about this cake is that it's very moist, using yogurt and oil, instead of butter. I use Greek Yogurt, because it's thicker, and I use the non-fat version.
This recipe is so versatile. You can bake this as a bundt cake and you can use lime or orange, instead of lemon.
It's one of my favorite recipes.
For pictures and more info, visit my foodblog:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper (Don't skip this). Grease and flour the pan.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl.
In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla.
Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan.
While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.
For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.
You'll also love
- Ina Garten’s Outrageous Brownies 3.9/5 (254 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ham & Potato Soup -... 4.2/5 (128 Votes)
- Lazy Man's Lobster Casserole 3.8/5 (175 Votes)
- Grilled Citrus and Grape Sangria 4.5/5 (97 Votes)
- Caramel Banana Cake Roll 4.3/5 (117 Votes)
- Chocolate Coconut Pound Cake 4.5/5 (99 Votes)
- Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe 4.5/5 (93 Votes)
- Asian Lemon Chicken 4.5/5 (93 Votes)