Chunky Pumpkin Soup
This chunky pumpkin soup has cubes, coins, and ribbons of vegetables swimming in a fragrant, spicy broth. Potatoes add body. Mixed greens add a pop of color.
- Vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions or large shallots, finely minced
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- One large wedge pumpkin, about 3 1/3 pounds, seeded, peeled and diced
- 4 small or 2 medium potatoes, ideally half waxy and half floury, scrubbed and diced
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock, ideally homemade
- 1 tablespoon harissa, or to taste
- Greens from 2 to 3 stalks of Swiss chard or the tops from a bunch of turnips, finely minced
- Cilantro blossoms or leaves, for garnish
- Walnuts, shelled and crumbled, for garnish (Optional)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from chocolateandzucchini.com
Heat a good drizzle of oil in a soup pot. Add the onions, sprinkle with salt, and cook over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Add the cumin seeds and cook for another minute or two, until fragrant.
Add the pumpkin and potatoes, sprinkle with salt, and add stock to cover the vegetables (top up with water if necessary). Cover, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through and the pumpkin is soft.
Remove soup from heat and mash it just a little with the wooden spoon so you have a good mix of textures.
Dissolve the harissa in a spoonful of the cooking liquids in a small bowl, and stir it into the soup.
Add the minced greens and stir them in; they will cook quickly in the hot liquid.
Taste, adjust the seasoning and heat, then serve with a sprinkle of cilantro blossoms or leaves, and crumbled walnuts, if you have them.
You'll also love
- Minestrone Soup 4.3/5 (156 Votes)
- Country Cabbage Soup 4.5/5 (111 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Autumn Harvest Veggie... 4.5/5 (74 Votes)
- Chewy Date Nut Bars 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fruit and Broccoli Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- √ Pennsylvania Red Cabbage 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Asparagus with Wasabi Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)