Beef Stew with Mushrooms, Onions, Carrots
Beef Stew with Mushrooms, Onions, Carrots, is the most delectable way to warm up during winter. Enriched with the deep flavors of Puddy's Porter beer and Worcestershire sauce, this recipe goes best with crusty bread, so that you can sop up all that saucy-goodness. This recipe is perfect for any Sunday family meal because it cooks low and slow for optimal meaty richness.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-pounds beef chuck, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 5 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 0.25-pound prosciutto or pancetta, cut into chunks
- 1.5-pounds mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (12-ounce) Puddy's Porter or porter-style beer of your choice
- 2 cups beef stock, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 140mins
In a large pot, heat oil over high heat. Season the meat generously with salt and pepper, then sear on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the meat and set it aside.
Put the onions in the pot, cover and lower the heat to medium. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently and scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir in the diced carrots along with the prosciutto and garlic. Cook and stir the vegetables for 5 to 6 minutes, until the onions begin to brown nicely. Add the mushrooms and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, stirring frequently. Put the meat back in to the pot and pour in the beer and stock to cover. Add a little more stock if necessary or to taste.
Add the thyme, bay leaves, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook at a low simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is fork tender.
If a thicker broth is preferred, remove the beef and vegetables, bring the sauce to a boil. Let boil until it reaches the desired consistency and add the beef and vegetables back
Discard the bay leaves and serve.
You'll also love
- Beef-Stuffed Zucchini Recipe 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Strawberry & Limoncello Sangria 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Mimosa Pitcher 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Garlic & Chicken Piccata 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Pulled Pork - Instant Pot 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Chicken Avocado Pizza 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Soup Creamy Cauliflower & Ham-Low... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Beef and Guiness Stew 4.5/5 (8 Votes)