Rhoda's Candied Sweet Potatoes - Kicked Up!
Candied sweet potatoes - with a twist! The bourbon really kicks up the flavor, and the vanilla bean adds just the perfect balance of sweetness.
- 8 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8ths
- 3 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 vanilla beans, split in half lengthwise*
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- Note: I used 1 Tablespoon Singing Dog Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 stick butter, cut into pieces
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
In a large heavy pot, combine the potatoes, sugar, water, orange juice, vanilla beans, orange zest, cinnamon, and salt. Bring to a simmer over high heat.
Lower the heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Strain the potatoes out of the sauce and place in a casserole dish. Return the sauce to the pan.
Add the bourbon to the sauce and continue to cook until syrup is thickened, about another 15 minutes**.
**I have found that I need to reduce the sauce for closer to 30 minutes, on medium-high heat.
Pour the syrup over the potatoes and place in the oven. Bake until the potatoes are browned, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the butter, stirring gently to incorporate.
You'll also love
- Gingerbread and Pumpkin Waffles 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Slow Roasted Honey Glazed Pork 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- French Onion Beef Stroganoff 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Marshmallow Popcorn Balls 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Nutella Hazelnut Biscotti 4.2/5 (39 Votes)
- Pizza Hut Creamy Garlic Sauce 3.9/5 (118 Votes)
- Potato Pancakes (America's Test... 4.3/5 (31 Votes)
- The Best Low Fat Healthy Waffles 4.2/5 (41 Votes)