Sweet Potato Pie
Sweet potato pie is a Southern staple, fragrant with cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Thanks to the rich, high-moisture crust, you never have to worry about a soggy pie; even under the custard, it will stay flaky and crisp for days.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 120mins
Boil sweet potato whole in skin for 40 to 50 minutes, or until done. Run cold water over the sweet potato, and remove the skin.
Break apart sweet potato in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.
Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a souffle, and then will sink down as it cools.
Notes: I microwaved the potatoes until done, then scooped the potato out with a spoon.
You'll also love
- Pinto Beans Cowgirl Style 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Cinnamon Apple Pie Bread 4/5 (21 Votes)
- Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash... 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Creamy Asparagus Soup from Cook's... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Brown Sugar Glazed Pineapple... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Southern Italian Cream Cake 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Country Ranch Green Beans ‘n... 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- Twice Baked Sweet Potato Soufflés 4.5/5 (13 Votes)