Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
A dish of bright orange, creamy sweet potatoes topped with a sticky layer of gooey, golden brown marshmallows is an iconic and essential element of the holiday table.
- 4 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups cornflakes cereal, crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 170mins
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Bake sweet potatoes at 400°F for 1 hour or until tender. Let stand until cool to touch (about 20 minutes); peel and mash sweet potatoes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
Beat mashed sweet potatoes, granulated sugar, and next 5 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spoon potato mixture into a greased 11 x 7 inch baking dish.
Combine cornflakes cereal and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle over casserole in diagonal rows 2 inches apart.
Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle marshmallows in alternate rows between cornflake mixture; bake 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Macaroni Coleslaw 4.5/5 (53 Votes)
- Gluten Free "KFC" Popcorn Chicken 4.4/5 (60 Votes)
- 60-Minute Dinner Rolls (Yes,fresh... 4.3/5 (64 Votes)
- Crisp Cucumber Salsa 4.3/5 (64 Votes)
- Mario Batali's Penne alla Vodka 4.1/5 (81 Votes)
- Hot Dogs for a Crowd Crock Pot 3.8/5 (116 Votes)
- Smashed Chickpea Sriracha Salad... 5/5 (10 Votes)
- Better than Olive Garden Zuppa... 4.5/5 (52 Votes)