Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallow & Pecan-Streusel
Sweet potatoes are baked, then scooped. The potatoes are then sweetened with some brown sugar, some vanilla, milk and eggs. Marshmallow creme is layered in between a topping of chopped pecan streusel.
- 4 whole medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whole milk, I used 2% and it worked out fine
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, optional
- 1 jar marshmallow fluff, or creme
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Wash 4 medium sweet potatoes and bake them in a 375°F oven until fork tender, about 30 to 35 minutes. When they are finished cooking slice them open and scrape out the flesh into a large bowl.
Add the brown sugar, 1 cup milk, you can use half and half for a richer texture, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of salt.
Add the pumpkin spice, if using.
With a potato masher, mash them up just enough, you don’t want to be perfectly smooth. Otherwise, I think the texture is too much like baby food. Your choice.
Note: I used a hand mixer, on low speed, in spurts so as not to puree the sweet potatoes too much.
Now, in a separate bowl, add 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup pecans, chopped, that means measure a cup of pecans, then chop them, 3/4 cup flour, and 3/4 stick of melted butter. With a fork, mix until thoroughly combined.
Note: You can easily make this a day or two ahead
Spread the sweet potato mixture into a regular baking dish and sprinkle the crumb mixture all over the top. I used individual ramekins.
If adding the marshmallow creme, add it before the topping. You could use miniature marshmallows, but I really liked the creaminess of the marshmallow creme. You could leave the marshmallow out, altogether, and this is still a delicious recipe.
Bake in a 400°F oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
You'll also love
- Peaches & Cream Muffin - Starbucks... 4.2/5 (79 Votes)
- Fried Polenta with Carmelized... 4.4/5 (58 Votes)
- Ramen Taco Salad 4.3/5 (69 Votes)
- Banana Bread Pudding 4.4/5 (61 Votes)
- Avocado, Bacon & Tomato Summer... 4.7/5 (41 Votes)
- Scary Easy Werther's Caramel Apples 4.1/5 (84 Votes)
- Skillet Chicken & Potato Dinner 4.5/5 (57 Votes)
- Cherry Pie Crumble Bars 4.3/5 (78 Votes)