Roasted Garlic & Onion Dip
I was looking for a way to make my own onion dip, without using packaged onion soup mix (way too many preservatives). After searching various recipes, I adapted them to my own liking. In the end I decided to roast garlic and caramelize onion. There is about 45 minutes of prep work, but it's mostly waiting for the garlic to roast in the oven, and for the onions to slowly caramelize over the stove. In the end, the result was worth it. It's a bit decadent, with calories, but once in a while-- dip in!
- 1 large sweet onion (like Vidalia)
- 1 head of garlic
- olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Instead of the dried spices, use 2-3 tsp of Susie-Q Santa Maria Style seasoning.
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
For the roasted garlic:
Cut the top ⅓ off the head of garlic, exposing the cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and put in a foil packet. Bake at 350F 45 minutes (or until the cloves are nice and soft).
Set aside, and allow to cool; then squeeze each clove to remove the deliciously roasted garlic. It's so sweet! Mash the cloves with a fork.
Dice the onion. In a saute pan over medium heat add olive oil, heat and add onions and salt. Cook the onions until they are caramelized, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
For the dip:
In a bowl, add the sour cream and mayonnaise.
Add the roasted garlic, onion and seasonings.
Taste, and adjust the seasonings to your own preference.
NOTE: Originally, I sliced the onion very thin (rather than dicing them). I didn't like how the onion became one stringy clump at the end-- next time, I'd definitely dice the onions so they are more evenly distributed.
You'll also love
- Halloween Poke Cake 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Candied Sweet Potatoes or Yams 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Pie Bombs 4.4/5 (23 Votes)
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip 4.3/5 (22 Votes)
- White Beans with Spinach & Sausage 3.7/5 (292 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Onion... 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Coconut Loaf Cake 4.1/5 (26 Votes)
- Fat Head Pizza 4.3/5 (22 Votes)