Mantecaditos - Puerto Rican Shortbread Cookies
Mantecadito cookies are perfect served with coffee or milk and can easily be prepared even by the beginner baker. So what are you waiting for?! Start baking!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cool to touch
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, cold
- 1 teaspoon almond emulsion or almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from hispanickitchen.com
Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
Line an un-greased cookie sheet with parchment paper (optional).
With a hand or stand mixer, cream butter and shortening until creamy and well combined (about 2 minutes).
Add sugar and mix till creamy and fluffy (about 1 minute).
Add the pinch of salt, vanilla and almond extract. Mix to combine.
With mixer on medium-low, mix in the flour by ¼ cup. The mixture will look coarse and that’s what we want! Take a tablespoon of the cookie dough and form it into a ball and place it on the cookie sheet. With your thumb, press on the cookie to flatten it slightly and create a little “well.” Don’t worry if they crack on the sides, they will turn out pretty. In the little well, drop a piece of guava or sprinkles.
Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes. After 10 minutes, check the cookies for doneness. The cookies will not brown on top, but the sides will get golden brown and that’s what you want.
Place them on a cooling rack for 5 to 10 minutes.
You'll also love
- Almond Shortbread 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Fried Rice in an Instant Pot 4.2/5 (32 Votes)
- White Beans with Spinach & Sausage 3.6/5 (226 Votes)
- Coconut Loaf Cake 4.2/5 (24 Votes)
- Molasses Sugar Cookies 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Scotcheroos 4.3/5 (27 Votes)
- Christmas Gooey Butter Cookies 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- White Chocolate Cherry Shortbread 4.5/5 (2 Votes)