Slow-Cooker Cornbread Dressing
This slow-cooker cornbread will amaze you with its deliciousness and just how easy it is to make. The soft, moist texture is the same as oven baked dressing, and there's no sautéing all the veggies. This recipe also frees up your oven for other things during busy holidays. This recipe serves a crowd and is the perfect mix-it and forget-it slow-cooker recipe.
- 2 (6.5-ounce) packages Martha White Yellow Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 4 slices two day old bread, crusts removed
- 1 medium onion, about 3/4 cup, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of Campbell's 98% Fat-Free Chicken Soup
- 1 or 2 (10.5-ounce) cans Campbell's Chicken Broth, depending on how moist you like your dressing
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 stick salted butter, divided
- Salt, to taste
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 145mins
In a mixing bowl, whisk 1 large egg; then whisk in the pouches of dry cornbread mix with the water and skim milk. Bake in a heated cast iron skillet in a preheated 425°F oven for about 20 minutes or until golden, and the center is firm. Remove cornbread from skillet to a wire rack to cool.
Chop the veggies and set aside.
Remove the crusts from the bread and tear into pieces. Place in a food processor and using the steel blade, pulse into crumbs. Pour crumbs onto a jellyroll pan and place in a warm oven (not turned on) for about 10 minutes to dry out. Let cool on a wire rack.
In an extra-large mixing bowl, whisk 3 eggs; whisk in the soup, broth, poultry seasoning, pepper, and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Stir in the raw onion and celery.
Crumble the cornbread, then add it along with the bread crumbs to the soup mixture and stir lightly just until all the bread is moistened adding more broth if needed.
Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray; then pour the cornbread mixture in it and smooth out top. Slice the remaining 2 tablespoons butter into pats then place on top of the dressing.
Cover the slow-cooker and cook on HIGH for about 45 minutes.
Without removing the cover, reduce heat to low and cook for another 45 minutes.
Remove cover and gently stir the mixture; cover and continue cooking on low for another 30 minutes or until veggies are tender.
You'll also love
- Tim Horton's Copycat Fruit... 3.8/5 (118 Votes)
- Strawberry White Chocolate Trifle 4.5/5 (48 Votes)
- Roasted Corn and Lentil Salad with... 4.5/5 (48 Votes)
- Sand Pudding 4.1/5 (79 Votes)
- Christmas Snack Mix 4.4/5 (53 Votes)
- Mom's Best Marshmallow & Coconut... 4.5/5 (46 Votes)
- Homemade Cheesy Potatoes 4.4/5 (49 Votes)
- Creamy Cheesecake with Caramel... 4.5/5 (43 Votes)