Paleo AIP Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
This healthy paleo strawberry rhubarb pie is slightly tart, yet still nice and sweet for a dessert that will satisfy all your friends and family.
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 8 tablespoons palm shortening, butter, or ghee
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon sea salt (I find I need more when I use palm shortening)
- 8 to 10 tablespoons ice cold water or non-dairy milk.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, or other fat of choice
- 1 cup chopped strawberries, fresh or thawed frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped rhubarb
- 1 to 2 tablespoons honey, or other sweetener of choice (I used half stevia), to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon balsamic or coconut vinegar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
Cooking time 35mins
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a medium saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add rhubarb and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until softened. Add the zest, vinegar and agave nectar and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the strawberries and cook for 2 minutes more.
Mix the arrowroot and water in a small bowl to create a slurry. Remove the rhubarb mixture from the heat and slowly mix in the slurry to thicken the filling. Allow to cool slightly before pouring into the pre-cooked pie crust and topping with the top crust.
Whisk together the cassava flour, and sea salt. Cut in the palm shortening using a pastry cutter or two knives until pea sized pieces remain. Mix in enough water or milk to make a cohesive dough that presses together easily.
Using a well floured piece of parchment, pat the dough out, and place another piece of parchment or plastic wrap on top. Roll out to 1 to 2 centimeters thick. Cut into desired shapes.
Fill with the cooled filling on one half of the dough. Fold the dough over onto itself, pressing the dough together at the edges, using a touch of water around the edges to help with sticking.
Bake in a preheated oven until turning just golden, about 20 minutes.
You'll also love
- Fresh Strawberry Pie 4.5/5 (42 Votes)
- Strawberry Custard Pies 4.7/5 (16 Votes)
- Sous Vide Creamy Grits 3.9/5 (8 Votes)
- Parmesan Herb Encrusted Tilapia 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Stewed White Beans, Kale & Sausage 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Cranberry Custard Pie 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Spaghetti Squash - Microwave Method 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Pumpkin Maple Pecan Granola with... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)