Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
This recipe includes 3 delicious mashed tater' variations, Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes, Butternut-Swirled Mashed Potatoes or Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Mashed Potatoes. Whatever your pleasure, we got you covered!
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from cookinglight.com
Place russet potatoes in a large bowl; cover with water to 1 inch above potatoes.
Place Yukon Gold potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat. When water reaches a simmer, drain russet potatoes, and add to pan with Yukon Golds. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Drain.
Using a potato ricer, rice potatoes over pan. Stir in butter until melted. Gently stir in buttermilk, salt, and black pepper.
Variation: Butternut-Swirled Mashed Potatoes
Follow above recipe, reserving 2 tablespoons buttermilk. While potatoes simmer, bring 2 cups unsalted chicken stock, 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, and 1 (12 ounce) package peeled diced butternut squash to a simmer; cook 15 minutes. Reserve 2 tablespoons stock; drain squash. Discard sage. Place reserved 2 tablespoons buttermilk, 2 tablespoons stock, and squash in a blender; blend until smooth. Add squash mixture to mashed potatoes; swirl with a spoon.
Variation: Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
Cut 1/2 inch off the top of 1 whole garlic head; drizzle with 1/4 teaspoon olive oil. Wrap in foil; bake at 400°F for 50 minutes or until very tender. Separate garlic cloves; squeeze to extract pulp. Discard skins. Follow above recipe. Stir in garlic pulp and 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
If making ahead, keep the potatoes warm by placing in a heatproof bowl, covering with plastic wrap, and setting over a saucepan of gently simmering water.
You'll also love
- Old-Fashioned Peach Cobbler 3.9/5 (944 Votes)
- Oreo Dirt Cake 4/5 (340 Votes)
- German Potato Salad Heirloom Recipe 4.4/5 (221 Votes)
- Mashed Potatoes in Muffin Tins 4.3/5 (166 Votes)
- St. Patrick's Day Green Velvet... 4.5/5 (138 Votes)
- St. Patrick's Day Popcorn 4.5/5 (137 Votes)
- Butter Burgers 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
- Bacon Cheese Potatoes (Slow Cooked) 4.4/5 (103 Votes)