Potato Kugel Gratin
The matzo meal in this Potato Kugel Gratin recipe is the key to that golden-browned crust. Serve on the side of any meaty main course or use this recipe as a vegetarian main course with a side salad or vegetable dish of your choice. This recipe makes a great any-occasion side dish and is best served to large groups of people.
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt, plus 1/4 teaspoon, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus 1/4 teaspoon, divided
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing baking dish
- 3 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, about 6 large potatoes
- 5 shallots, thinly sliced, about 9-ounces
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsalted matzo meal
- flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, to taste, for serving
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 150mins
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in upper third. Combine 4 teaspoons coarse salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
Oil a 2 1/2-quart baking dish and sprinkle bottom with some of the salt-and-pepper mixture. Cut potatoes into 1/8-inch thick slices with a handheld slicer or knife. Arrange slices vertically in baking dish; wedge in shallots and sprinkle thyme throughout. Brush with oil and season between potato slices with remaining salt-and-pepper mixture. Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet.
Whisk together eggs, broth, 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Add matzo meal and stir to combine. Pour mixture evenly over potatoes, tapping baking sheet on the counter to ensure mixture settles to bottom of baking dish. Cover with parchment, then with foil, and transfer to oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
Remove foil and parchment, rotate baking sheet, and continue baking until potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, about 40 minutes more. Increase heat to broil and broil until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Watch carefully to prevent over browning. Garnish with thyme and sea salt. Let rest at least 15 minutes but not longer than 30 minutes.
You'll also love
- Cavicionetti All’Abruzzese #2... 4.4/5 (21 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Medallions with... 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Butterfinger Dessert Weight... 4.5/5 (53 Votes)
- Cream Cheese Baked Spaghetti 4/5 (48 Votes)
- Hawaiian Macaroni Salad 3.8/5 (171 Votes)
- Chicken Piccata (CPK Copy Cat) 3.9/5 (178 Votes)
- Bacon and Rice Cabbage Rolls 4/5 (60 Votes)
- Eggnog Jello Shots 4/5 (43 Votes)