Fig, Apple & Sage Stuffing
Figs and apples bring a sweetness to this savory dressing recipe. Stuff the bird, or bake in a casserole dish and enjoy this dressing all year long!
- 1 (24-ounce) loaf whole-wheat bread, trimmed of crust and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 to 3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped, about 1 cup
- 3 to 4 celery ribs, finely chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 to 12 unsweetened dried figs, chopped, about 1 cup
- 2 apples (such as McIntosh, Cortland, Gala or Golden Delicious), cored and chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, plus additional 1/2 cup as needed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from cleaneatingmag.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide bread cubes among 2 rimmed baking sheets and arrange in a single layer; transfer to oven and bake for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring once, until lightly toasted.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil to medium-high. Add carrots, celery and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in thyme, rosemary, chile powder, salt and pepper. Add figs and apples and stir well to combine.
Remove from heat, add bread and stir to combine. Stir in broth. Stuffing should be uniformly moist but not wet; if needed, add additional 1/2 cup broth. Stir in sage. Stuff the bird.
If you’d prefer not to stuff your turkey or would like to enjoy this stuffing with a turkey-less menu, no problem! Simply coat a large baking dish with olive oil cooking spray and add stuffing. Drizzle with an additional 1 to 1 1/2 cups broth (you want a moist, but not wet, consistency), cover with foil and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake until the top is lightly browned, 10 to 15 more minutes.
You'll also love
- Ahi Tuna with Balsamic Ginger Slaw 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Maple Cream Fudge 4/5 (53 Votes)
- Ninja Fresh Tomato Salsa 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Artichoke Soup with Fresh Mint 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Fontina Cheese Dip 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Apple Pie Shots 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Hill Country Peach Cobbler 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Pineapple Rum Cake 4.6/5 (5 Votes)