Challah Stuffing with Fennel & Dried Fruit
A great twist on stuffing, this Challah Stuffing recipe kicks things up a notch with fennel, dried fruits, nuts and onions. Yum!
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf challah, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped, about 2 large onions
- 2 cups fennel, chopped, about 2 medium fennel bulbs
- 1 1/4 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried figs, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted dried plums or prunes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- Fresh tarragon (optional)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 55mins
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread bread cubes in a shallow roasting pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until toasted, stirring twice; cool. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
Meanwhile, grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and fennel; cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until fennel is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in orange juice, apricots, figs, cherries, plums, snipped tarragon, salt, and nutmeg. Bring just to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in walnuts.
In an extra-large bowl combine bread cubes and fruit mixture. In a medium bowl combine eggs and milk. Add egg mixture to bread mixture, tossing gently to moisten. Transfer mixture to the prepared roasting pan.
Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes more or until heated through. If desired, garnish with tarragon.
NOTES: Can't find challah? Try brioche. Not a fan of figs? Use dates. Not a fan of fennel? Use 2 cups chopped carrots in place of the fennel.
You'll also love
- Bread Machine Wheat Rolls with... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Pancakes with Blueberry Ginger... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- TGIF Chocolate Raspberry Martini 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Homemade Arrabbiata Sauce with... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- 1-2-3 Savory Potato Salad 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Scallop Ceviche 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Corn, Poblano and Cheese Tamales 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- K's Spectacular Easter Slow-Cooker... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)