Candied Bacon & Apple Canapés
Sweet and savory, these creamy, cheese-laced appetizers are dripping in the fragrant flavors or crispy Granny Smith apples and rich bacon. This recipe will feed a crowd and is guaranteed to satisfy any hungry guest until the main course is served. These pop-able appetizers are perfect amongst any other bite-sized treats on an appetizer spread.
- 1 (14.1-ounce) box Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup packed dark or light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 20 thin slices center-cut bacon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 small Granny Smith apples
- 1 (4-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, about 6-ounces
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 80mins
Heat oven to 400°F. Line large cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper. Unroll pie crusts on work surface. Using 2 ¼-inch round cookie cutter, cut 20 rounds from each crust, re-rolling dough if necessary. Place on cookie sheet; prick each round twice with fork. In small bowl, beat egg and 1 tablespoon water until well blended; brush on rounds. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Cool while preparing bacon.
Lin 15x10x1-inch pan with cooking parchment paper. In small bowl, mix brown sugar and cayenne. Place bacon with sides touching in pan; sprinkle with brown sugar mixture. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until sugar is hot and bubbly. Remove bacon from pan to a plate; let stand 10 to 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Using sharp knife, cut each bacon slice into 4 pieces.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix ½ cup water, sugar, and lemon juice until sugar is dissolved. Cut each unpeeled apple into 20 pieces, place in water mixture and refrigerate.
In another small bowl, mix cream cheese and blue cheese with wooden spoon, leaving small pieces of blue cheese visible. Spoon mixture into pastry bag fitted with ¾-inch tip; pipe onto each cracker. Drain apple slices; pat dry. For each cracker, place 1 apple slice between 2 bacon pieces; press at an angle into cheese mixture. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Easy Baked Cheese Balls 4.4/5 (103 Votes)
- Yellow Cornbread 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sugar-Free Instant Pumpkin Pudding 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Caramel Pork 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bacon Jalapeno Deviled Eggs 0/5 (0 Votes)
- MAPLE BACON BREAKFAST ROLLS 0/5 (0 Votes)
- APPLE YOGURT MUFFINS 0/5 (0 Votes)
- FRENCH TOAST WITH PEAR CRANBERRY... 0/5 (0 Votes)