Kale Salad with Root Vegetables and Apple
Servings: 8 servings
Quick and easy to make, this kale salad includes sweetness from apples and carrots, and the unique flavors from the julienned rutabaga.
- 2 pounds curly kale, stemmed and leaves thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and julienned
- 1 cup peeled and julienned rutabaga
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
In a large bowl, massage the kale with the vinegar, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the lemon zest and juice, soy sauce, syrup and remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss the carrot, apple, rutabaga and scallions with the kale. Add the dressing and toss again. Season with salt and pepper and serve.