Mashed Potato, Rutabaga, And Parsnip Casserole With Caramelized Onions
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 pounds rutabagas, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/4 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
1.Combine veggie broth, potatoes, rutabagas, parsnips, cloves, bay leaf, and thyme in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cover partially. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes. Drain.
2.Transfer vegetables to large bowl. Add 1/2 cup butter or margarine . Use an electric mixer, beat mixture until mashed but still chunky. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer mashed vegetables to a buttered 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
3.Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter or margarine in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions. Saute until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Saute until onions are tender and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Spread onions evenly over mashed vegetables. Casserole can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
4.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes, or until heated through and top begins to crisp.
You'll also love
- Bacon Infused Bourbon Whiskey 4.4/5 (32 Votes)
- Frozen Corn on the Cob In The... 3.9/5 (72 Votes)
- Baked Penne with Sausage,... 4.2/5 (66 Votes)
- Paula Deen's Vidalia Onion Cheese... 4.4/5 (28 Votes)
- Potato Casserole 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Hot German Potato Salad 4.4/5 (21 Votes)
- Pulled Pork and Red Onion Melt 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Green Beans with Parsnips and... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
Review this recipe