Loaded Baked Potato Soup (Chili's Copycat Recipe)
Rich and creamy, you'll love this homemade chunky baked potato soup based on a popular restaurant recipe! Did we mention the cheddar and bacon toppings? Yum!
- 2 medium potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon, crumbled, divided
- 2 green onions, green part only, chopped, divided
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from chilisathome.blogspot.com
Preheat oven to 400°F and bake the potatoes for 1 hour or until done. Remove potatoes from oven to cool.
As potatoes cool, prepare soup by melting butter in a large saucepan, and sauté onion until light brown. Add the flour to the onions and stir to make a roux.
Add stock, water, cornstarch, mashed potatoes, and spices to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out contents with a large spoon. Discard skin. Chop baked potato with a large knife to make chunks that are about 1/2-inch in size.
Add chopped baked potato and half-and-half to the saucepan. Bring soup back to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until thick.
Spoon about 1 1/2 cups of soup into a bowl and top with about a tablespoon of shredded cheddar cheese, a half tablespoon of crumbled bacon and a teaspoon or so of chopped green onion. Repeat for remaining servings.
You'll also love
- Garlic Shrimp in Foil 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- PEACH DUMPLINGS 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Amish Sour Cream Cornbread 4.4/5 (38 Votes)
- Sufganiyot 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Loaded Potato Salad 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Vanilla Oatmeal No Bake Cookies 4.3/5 (42 Votes)
- Pepperoni-Pesto Popovers 4.5/5 (24 Votes)