Panda Express-Style Orange Chicken
The legendary orange chicken of fast food lore, Panda Express orange chicken, you can now make yourself at home. Will it be quite the same? You decide!
- 2 pounds chicken pieces, boneless and skinned
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- White pepper
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 dash red hot chilies
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon white rice wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, minced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 90mins
Combine zest, orange juice, granulated sugar, chicken stock and soy sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
Cut chicken in 2-inch cubes and place in a large bowl. Stir in egg, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375°F. Coat all chicken pieces with the flour and corn starch mixture. Add chicken pieces, a small batch at a time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. Do not overcook or chicken will be tough. Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
Clean wok and heat 15 seconds over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant. Add and stir-fry crushed chiles and green onions. Add rice wine and stir 3 seconds. Add orange sauce and bring to a boil. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed.
Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon of cornstarch until smooth. Add to chicken and heat until sauce is thick. Still in 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
You'll also love
- Oven Baked Tacos 4.2/5 (169 Votes)
- Jollibee Style Spaghetti 3.8/5 (265 Votes)
- Creamy Grilled Chicken Piccata 4.5/5 (150 Votes)
- Janet's Orange Zucchini Bread 4/5 (212 Votes)
- Chicken Enchilada Dip Roll-Ups 4.4/5 (146 Votes)
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts 4.4/5 (146 Votes)
- Panko Oven Fried Chicken Breasts 4.5/5 (128 Votes)
- Chinese Jalapeno Chicken 4.2/5 (157 Votes)