Corn Bread Shortcake with Ham & Fresh Peach Salsa
This dish features the down-home flavors of cornbread, smoked ham, and peaches. The dressy presentation lends itself to a memorable summer dinner. You can also try this versatile salsa with grilled pork tenderloin or duck breast. Corn Bread Shortcake with Ham & Fresh Peach Salsa also makes an incredible dish on your breakfast or brunch buffet spread.
Cynthia Nicholson, Cooking Light
- 3 cups peeled peaches, diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- non-stick cooking spray
- 9 (1.5-ounce) slices 33%-less-sodium smoked ham
- cilantro sprigs, to garnish
Preparation time 100mins
Cooking time 130mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
To prepare salsa, combine the peaches, cranberries, orange juice, shallots, chopped cilantro, brown sugar, lime juice, cumin, and red pepper in a bowl, and toss gently. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
To prepare shortcake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Make a well in the center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, and egg in a bowl; add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist.
Spoon batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack. Turn shortcake out onto a cutting board or work surface; cut into 9 equal pieces.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add ham to pan, and sauté 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; keep warm.
Cut shortcake pieces in half horizontally. Place 1 bottom half on each of 9 plates; top each serving with 1 tablespoon salsa, 1 ham slice, and top half of shortcake. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons salsa. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
You'll also love
- Grilled Shrimp with Black-Eyed... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Bloody Mary Popcorn 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Boston Lettuce and Fettuccine 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Salt and Pepper Chicken Recipe 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Creamy Avocado Rancho Dressing 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Italian Easter Sweet Bread 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Honey-Sesame Popcorn Snack Mix 4/5 (7 Votes)
- Raw Vegan Eggnog 4.5/5 (6 Votes)