Serve this after Thanksgiving dinner with whipped cream and or vanilla ice cream for a satisfying dessert.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg (about 1/2 large egg)
- 1 (15-ounce) can pure pumpkin
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Whipped cream, for serving
Preparation time 135mins
Cooking time 225mins
Make the dough: Pulse the flour, granulated sugar and salt in a food processor. Add the shortening; pulse until it disappears, about 30 seconds. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse meal with pea-size bits of butter.
Beat 2 tablespoons ice water and the egg in a bowl, then add to the processor and pulse once or twice. (Stop before the dough gathers into a ball.) Turn out onto a sheet of plastic wrap and pat into a disk. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Roll the dough into a 13-inch round on a lightly floured surface (or between 2 pieces of floured parchment paper). Ease into a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish glass pie plate. Fold the overhanging dough under itself and crimp the edges with your fingers. Pierce the bottom all over with a fork and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
Line the crust with foil, then fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until the edges are golden, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and continue baking until the crust is golden all over, 10 to 15 more minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Make the filling: Whisk the pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, half-and-half, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and cloves in a bowl. Pour into the crust; bake until the edges are set but the center quivers, 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes. (Cover the edges of the crust with foil if they brown too quickly.) Cool completely on a rack. Serve with whipped cream.
You'll also love
- Brown Sugar Pound Cake with... 3.9/5 (109 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pie Cookies 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Little Apricot Cakes 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Garlic-Parmesan Tilapia 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Lasagna - Instant Pot 4.2/5 (47 Votes)
- Pumpkin Praline Bars 4.7/5 (23 Votes)
- Mississippi Sweet Potato Pie 4.1/5 (69 Votes)
- Chocolate Chess Pie with Graham... 4.3/5 (26 Votes)