Chocolate Chess Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
Perfect chocolate pie with bits of reese's peanut butter cups mixed in, baked in a graham cracker crust and served with chocolate whipped cream. Delicious!
- 15 whole graham crackers
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs plus 1 large egg white
- 1 cup Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, chopped (I used minis, but any size is fine, just chop them), optional (see note)
- CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 120mins
Note on the pie: if you’re using a 9” standard pie plate it will be a very full pie. Bake it on a cookie sheet just in case, but it should not spill over. You can use up to a 10” pie plate, but do not use anything smaller than 9”. If you have a 9” deep dish pie plate, you can use that as well.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grind the graham crackers in a food processor until they are a fine crumb. (You can also place them in a large gallon size ziploc bag and roll them with a rolling pin.) Place in a bowl and stir in sugar and melted butter with a fork. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-10” or 9” deep dish pie plate. Bake until firm, about 10 minutes.
Melt the butter with chocolate in a medium sized bowl. I did this in the microwave, heating on high in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. (You can also do it in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.)
Once the chocolate is melted and smooth, whisk in the flour, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Whisk in eggs and egg white, one at a time, until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the chopped peanut butter cups, if using. Pour mixture into prepared crust.
Bake until the top is puffed and filling is set in the center, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool, serve at room temperature.
While the pie is baking, make the chocolate whipped cream. Start with cold bowl and beaters. Place the whipping cream in a bowl and beat on high until the mixture thickens. Slowly add the powdered sugar, vanilla and unsweetened cocoa powder. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Be careful to not over beat. Best served on day it's made.
Top with whipped cream or ice cream. (Note that I get pretty slices because I chill my pies a few hours before cutting. That's the secret to perfect slices!)
I added the peanut butter cups because I love the combination of PB and chocolate. If you don't like peanut butter or are allergic, just skip them. The pie will cook just fine without them! You can also add in some of your favorite chopped candy in it's place.
You'll also love
- Easy Homemade Bread 4.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Smoked Salmon & Cucumber 4.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Cinnamon Apple Crumble 4.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Peach Blackberry Crisp 4.5/5 (32 Votes)
- Mini Key Lime Pies 4.6/5 (28 Votes)
- Impossible Coconut Pie 4.5/5 (34 Votes)
- No-Bake Blueberry Cheesecake with... 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Flaky Pie Crust 4.4/5 (25 Votes)