Old-Fashioned Beef Stew
Old-Fashioned Beef Stew is inexpensive to make, feeds a crowd, and most importantly, it is delicious. The rich and meaty flavors of beef chuck roast come together with fragrant red wine, russet potatoes, carrots, and onions to make a hearty dish that your whole family is going to love. Serve with warm dinner rolls or a crusty loaf of bread to sop up all that broth-y goodness.
- 3-pounds boneless chuck roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoons freshly ground pepper
- 2 yellow onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut in eighths
- fresh parsley to garnish
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 110mins
On medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil to a large heavy pot (one that has a tight fitting lid).
When it begins to smoke slightly, add the beef and brown very well. Do in batches if necessary. Add the salt and pepper as the beef browns.
Once browned, remove the beef with a slotted spoon set aside. Add the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes, until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low, and add the flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring often. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add wine and deglaze the pan, scraping any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. The flour will start to thicken the wine as it comes to a simmer. Simmer wine for 5 minutes, and then add the broth, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, and the beef. Bring back to a gentle simmer, cover and cook on very low for about 1 hour.
Add potatoes, carrots, and celery, and simmer covered for another 30 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Turn off heat and let sit for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with the fresh parsley if desired.
You'll also love
- Spicy Jalapeño Philly Cheese... 4.3/5 (45 Votes)
- Belgium Beef Stew 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
- Water Chestnuts Wrapped in Bacon 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Date Cake 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Vegan Pumpkin Arancini 4.2/5 (12 Votes)
- Zucchini "Apple Pie" 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Slow Cooked Roast & Gravy with... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Gluten Free Moong Dal Bread 4.4/5 (11 Votes)