Fried Beef Liver & Onions
This recipe will make everyone love liver, it's just THAT good! Serve with a side of rice and a nice salad.
- 1 pound beef or calf liver, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 2 small onions, sliced then separated in rings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Cooking oil, as needed (I used vegetable oil)
- 1/2 tablespoon margarine or butter, optional
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Heat a medium skillet over medium heat; then add 1/2 tablespoon margarine and 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. When hot, add the onions and saute until tender and browned, stirring frequently so they don't burn. Transfer onions to a plate and season with a little salt and pepper; set aside. (I set them in the microwave until needed.)
Place the flour into a rimmed plate or pan and season with a little salt and pepper (not too much since the liver will be salted after it is cooked). Coat liver with the flour mixture and set pieces aside on a plate.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add about 1/4 cup oil; when hot, add the liver and brown both sides, turning only once. (Do not overcook it or it will be dry and hard. Time will depend on thickness of liver.) Remove cooked liver to a serving plate and season with salt and keep warm. Continue frying any remaining liver, adding more oil, if needed.
Serve liver warm, topped with the sauteed onions and side dishes of choice.. mashed potatoes, buttered white rice, green peas or beans, etc.
You'll also love
- Beef Liver Pâté with Balsamic... 4.1/5 (9 Votes)
- Pico de Gallo Pasta 3.9/5 (36 Votes)
- Cherry-Pineapple Crumb Cobbler 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast... 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- 5 Chicken Crockpot Recipes 4.1/5 (21 Votes)
- Cheesy Garlic Knot White Pizza Dip 3.9/5 (29 Votes)
- No Bake Peach Cheesecake Bars 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- One-Pot Creamy Tomato Tortellini... 4.1/5 (14 Votes)