Bacon-Topped Green Bean Casserole
Add some more flavor to your green bean casserole with fresh mushrooms and bacon! Not only is this a great dish for Thanksgiving, you can have this anytime of the year.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 ounce dried wild mushrooms, such as morel, chantarelle, oyster, and/or porcini mushrooms
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into small pieces
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 clovesgarlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half or light cream
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
In an extra-large skillet cook beans in boiling lightly salted water about 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Drain again; set aside.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl pour the 1 cup boiling water over the dried mushrooms. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
In the same extra-large skillet cook bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a small bowl lined with a paper towel; crumble bacon. Reserve about 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings in skillet; discard the remaining drippings. Cook cremini mushrooms in the reserved drippings over medium-high heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in green beans.
Meanwhile, use a fork to remove the dried mushrooms from the water (do not discard liquid). Chop the mushrooms; add to green bean mixture.
in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in all but about 2 tablespoons of the mushroom liquid (discard the liquid at the bottom of the bowl, which may be gritty). Stir in half-and-half. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in rosemary, salt, and pepper. (To serve today, omit next step and continue as directed on the next step.)
Transfer crumbled bacon, green bean mixture, and sauce to separate airtight containers. Cover; chill for up to 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Stir the sauce into the bean mixture. Spoon into a 2-quart square baking dish.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly. Top with bacon. Bake for 5 minutes more.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Birria de Res 4/5 (21 Votes)
- Individual Orange Souffles 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Cream Cheese Carrot Muffins Recipe 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Cream Cheese & Mushroom Scrambled... 4.3/5 (16 Votes)
- Pumpkin Spice Spread 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Gouda Bacon Macaroni and Cheese 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Summer Squash Sauté 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Deep Fried Pork Chops with Sweet... 4.4/5 (13 Votes)