Green Bean Casserole
A classic Green Bean Casserole recipe slightly adapted from the one developed in the 1950s by the Campbell's Soup Company. It was good then and.. it's even better now!
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 ⁄2 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 pounds green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Canola oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 small yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 ⁄3 heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from saveur.com
Bring stock to a boil in a small pot. Remove from heat; add mushrooms. Cover; let soften for 20 minutes. Strain; reserve broth. Thinly slice mushrooms; set aside. Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add green beans; cook until tender, 2 minutes. Chill beans in an ice bath; drain and pat dry.
Pour oil into a large pot to a depth of 2-inches. Heat over medium-high heat until oil registers 350°F on a deep-fry thermometer. Put 1 cup flour into a bowl. Working in batches, toss onions in flour; shake off excess and fry until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate and season with salt.
Heat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8× 8-inch casserole with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside.
Melt remaining butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in remaining flour; cook for 1 minute. Pour in reserved broth while whisking; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Whisk in cream and combine with beans, half the onions, reserved mushrooms, and salt and pepper in a bowl; transfer to casserole. Top with remaining onions; bake until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
You'll also love
- PORK VINDALOO 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Lamb Tagine 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Honey Mustard Roasted Chicken and... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Columbian Hot Chocolate with Cheese 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Sour Cream Apple Cake 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Pork Cutlets with Butternut... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Candied Acorn Squash 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Cheesy Bacon & Corn Casserole 5/5 (3 Votes)