Summer Squash Sauté
This simply sauteed summer squash makes a great tasting side dish. Recipe also includes some easy variations - chile plus lime, carrot plus miso and cumin plus coriander. Yum!
Per serving: 180 calories, 13 g fat, 3 g fiber
- 2 pounds summer squash and or zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, finely grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Place squash in a colander set in the sink or over a large bowl and toss with 1 teaspoon salt. Let squash stand 10 minutes, then squeeze well to remove as much excess moisture as possible (do not rinse).
Meanwhile, toast almonds in a large dry skillet over medium heat, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate; let cool.
Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring often, until fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add squash and cook, tossing occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Fold in Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Fold in almonds.
1 dish, 4 ways - Switch up this squash sauté with different flavor combinations:
Chile plus Lime: Cook 1 chopped jalapeño along with garlic and red pepper flakes. Omit almonds and cheese and finish squash with lime juice and toasted pepitas.
Carrot plus Miso: Shred 1 large carrot and cook with the squash. Whisk 1 tablespoon white miso and 1 tablespoon rice vinegar; stir in miso mixture at the end instead of cheese.
Cumin plus Coriander: Add 1/2 teaspoon each of ground cumin and ground coriander while sautéing the garlic and red pepper flakes. Serve with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.
You'll also love
- Deep Fried Pork Chops with Sweet... 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Spicy Macaroni Salad 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Berry Breakfast Smoothie 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Beef and Butternut Squash Chili 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Tomato Focaccia 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Citrusy Fig & Almond Jam 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Antipasto Tray 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Primal/low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake 5/5 (3 Votes)