These zucchini tarts are great for a healthier party appetizer that's cozy, savory, and delicious!
- TART SHELLS:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 4 medium zucchini, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon California basil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 45mins
Combine the flour and salt in a mixing bowl; cut in the shortening with two fork or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 1/4 cup water evenly over the surface. Stir with a fork until the dough just sticks together (another 1 to 2 tablespoons water may be necessary).
Shape the dough into a ball. Break off pieces of dough approximately the size of ping-pong balls. Press each piece of dough into the bottom of an un-greased muffin cup of a standard-sized muffin pan, pushing the dough up to almost the top of the muffin cup. Make sure the dough is pressed tightly against the sides of the muffin cup to prevent shrinkage while baking. Prick the bottom and sides of each tart shell several times with a fork.
Bake at 400°F for 10 to 12 minutes or until slightly browned. Let cool and remove each tart shell from the muffin pan, using a fork.
Place the zucchini and salt in a colander, stir to combine, and let sit for 20 minutes to drain out any liquid. Squeeze well to remove any remaining liquid and set zucchini aside.
In a medium skillet, melt half of the butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove the mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
Heat the remaining butter in the skillet. Add the onions and cook until softened. Add the zucchini and basil to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms back in, when warm, remove from heat, stir in sour cream. Taste and add salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
Fill the pastry shells with the mixture and serve warm.
You'll also love
- Grilled Chive Potatoes 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Bleu Cheese and Tuscan Herb... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Corned Beef 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Raspberry Tarts 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Pappardelle with sage butter... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Pumpkin-Swirl Brownies 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Garlic Chicken Puffs 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Roasted Garlic & Onion Dip 4.5/5 (12 Votes)