Zucchini Bundt Cake with Orange Glaze
The crunchy, sweet candied zucchini that crowns this cake is optional, but takes the presentation to stunning, fun heights. Perfumed with orange zest and cardamom, the cake swings to a gentle Moroccan beat.
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
- Coarse salt
- 2 medium zucchini
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- Orange glaze
- Candied zucchini strips, optional
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 100mins
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Preheat oven to 325°F. Brush a 6-cup Bundt pan with butter, and dust with flour, tapping out excess.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, spices, and 1 teaspoon salt.
Grate 2 1/2 cups of zucchini on the large holes of a box grater, then squeeze dry in a clean kitchen towel or press in a ricer.
Stir together eggs and sugar, then stir in melted butter, zucchini, and orange zest and juice. Stir in flour mixture. Transfer batter to pan.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour (cake will rise quite a bit over the top of the pan but should not run over). Transfer pan to a wire rack, and let cake cool for 10 minutes. Run a paring knife around edges of cake to loosen, and turn out onto wire rack. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
Brush several layers of orange glaze evenly over cake, and garnish with candied zucchini before serving.
Cook's Tip: Unglazed cake can be stored at room temperature, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 1 day, or frozen for up to 1 month.
You'll also love
- Arrabbita Vegan Sauce 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Herb-Crusted Rack of Lamb with... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Grilled Flank Steak with Garlic... 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Rounds 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Salted Caramel Apple Cheesecake... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Squash Casserole (Great) 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- White Chocolate Apricot Oatmeal... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Quinoa Mexi-Lime Salad 4.2/5 (10 Votes)